Think it’s too late to “re-invent” yourself? Think again, September is Healthy Aging® Month and the time to take stock in where you’ve been, think about what you’d like to do for yourself next and make a plan for your future.
“September is Healthy Aging Month” was created by Healthy Living’s Editor-in Chief, Carolyn Worthington and is designed to focus attention on the positive aspects of growing older. This initiative provides inspiration and practical ideas for adults, ages 45-plus, to improve their physical, mental, social and financial well-being.
According to Worthington, “We saw a need to draw attention to the myths of aging, to shout out ‘Hey, it’s not too late to take control of your health, it’s never too late to get started on something new.’ Why not think about the positive aspects of aging instead of the stereotypes and the negative aspects?”
These suggestions are designed to rejuvenate and help you get started as you focus on positive measures you can take to improve your life.
- Surround yourself with positive, energetic people of all ages. Engage others in conversation and be open to entertain ideas that differ from your own.
- Be positive in your conversations and your actions every day. When you catch yourself complaining, check yourself right there and change the conversation to something positive.
- Stand up straight! With your chin up, shoulders back and your core engaged, you’ll like how you look.
- Walk like the vibrant, healthy person that you want to be. Wear comfortable shoes and get out there, not just for your health, go chat with your neighbors. Have a dog? Take him along, pets are great company and fun conversation starters.
- Connect with others; volunteer your time or take a class. Keep up with technology by taking a computer class or a tutorial session for your cell phone. Invite a friend for coffee, brunch, lunch or dinner and invite a different friend each week.
- Awaken your inner artist; maybe you’ve always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument or maybe you’d like to learn to paint. Expose yourself to the arts and take part by signing up for a class.
By mindfully making a change or two, you might make some new friends or discover a passion. By taking charge of your health, you can look forward to the next chapter in your life!